- Published on 20 January 2015
Balance Function Assessment and Management, Second Edition with seven new chapters, addresses the assessment and treatment of balance system impairments through contributions from top experts in the areas of dizziness and vertigo. It is mainly designed for use in graduate audiology programs and by practicing audiologists, but is also a valuable text for those in the fields of physical therapy, otolaryngology, and neurology.
Assessment chapters focus on ocular motility testing, positional/positioning testing, caloric testing, rotational testing, computerized dynamic posturography, and vestibular evoked potentials. Treatment chapters deal with nonmedical, medical, and surgical treatments of dizziness and vertigo, vestibular rehabilitation, and assessment of and intervention for risk of falls. The text also gives background information on the vestibular and ocular motor systems with sample cases.
New topics included in the second edition:
- Development of the vestibular system
- Central compensation following peripheral vestibular system impairment
- Video head impulse test (vHIT)
- Biomechanics and physiology of balance
- Electrocochleography (ECochG)
- Pediatric vestibular system and balance assessment
- Effects of age on the vestibular and balance systems
This new edition now offers the PluralPlus companion website (additional reference materials).