- Published on 03 November 2020
What the eye doesn't see, the heart of certain stigma-conscious users who want their hearing aids invisible will not grieve but thrill over. Hence, Phonak persisting with an analogue (yes!) device—Lyric—first launched back in 2006. Lyric 4 is here.
This fourth incarnation of Lyric relies on a loyal customer base - and potential new users - that prize invisibility above all other factors for choosing a hearing aid. The Lyric models, which Phonak claims are "the world’s only 100% invisible" aids, are worn 24/7 for months at a time, deep in the ear canal.
Lyric 4 features components enhanced to prevent ear wax and debris causing blockages, while the size has also been made slightly smaller for even more comfort.
More comfort, greater reliability
The reduction of the medial portion of the module by 0.3mm is designed to protect the delicate skin in the medial portion of the ear canal. Test subjects— Standaert, L. (2020). Objective and subjective comparison: Lyric4 to Lyric 3. Phonak Field Study News, retrieved from www.phonakpro.com/evidence, accessed October 2020—have rated the new Lyric4 as significantly more comfortable than the previous generation.
Reliability should increase, because Lyric4, available to the UK public from December 2020, was designed to better withstand the challenging environment of the ear canal. With the new medial port receiver protection, debris is collected in a mini moat designed to reduce the impact of cerumen, and this may prevent early clogging. And the fitting success rate for Lyric is already, according to an internal Phonak study, above 75%. Reducing the medial module should improve this fitting rate even more, particularly for those with smaller ear canals.
Phonak will offer seven sizes of Lyric4, from XXS to XXL models to comfortably fit as many ear canal sizes as possible.
“With Lyric4, we’re taking proven 24/7 hearing performance with 100% invisibility to the next level with the goal of significantly increasing wearing comfort and reliability,” said Martin Grieder, Group Vice President of Marketing for Sonova. “There’s no daily maintenance so wearers can live their life without thinking about their hearing aids. This is extremely important for many consumers and reinforces why Lyric is such a valuable part of the Phonak portfolio.”
- 100% Invisibility: Unlike traditional hearing aids, Lyric is placed deep in the ear canal making it completely invisible when worn. This allows wearers to sleep, shower, exercise and more without thinking about their hearing aids. They can also more easily wear a mask to protect themselves during the COVID-19 pandemic without ear loop interference.
- Tinnitus Relief: An estimated 10-15% of the population has tinnitus.1 Lyric4 can reduce tinnitus annoyance faster* and improves sleep quality.2
- Clear, Natural Sound: While traditional hearing aids capture and process sound outside of the ear, Lyric4 uses the natural anatomy of the ear to amplify and provide a full, almost natural listening experience.
- No Daily Maintenance: Lyric4 requires no maintenance or batteries to charge or change.
1.Hoffman, H. and Reed, G. (2004) Epidemiology of tinnitus: Theory and Management Lewiston, NY: BC Decker Inc, 16-41. * After 1 month Lyric showed significant improvement compared to daily wear hearing aids.
2. Power, D. (2018). Is Lyric an effective option for tinnitus? Investigating the benefits of a hearing aid that can be worn 24/7. Submitted for peer review publication.